One of the benefits to being the chef instructor of a high school Culinary Arts program is that I get the summer off. Since I am spending this summer with working towards launching Tasty-Candles as a viable part-time business, I’ve been staying up quite late to work on proof of concept production designs.
Pictured below is a grilled fish which is part of an incomplete project for a shioyaki, Japanese salt grilled fish candle. I used a hickory smoke, lemon grass, ginger, and bacon fragrance in making this product. To complete this candle, I plant to place it on a bed of rice but will have to make a mold for this. I’d also like to add some color by adding grilled asparagus, Chinese cabbage (wax model pictured right), and baby corn around the rice. The component parts of this candle will be assembled in a heavy glass banana split dish which I’ve already tested for use with candles.
While waiting for this fish candle to set, I surfed the internet in search of a cheap supply of Golden Wax 444. I purchased 50 pounds of wax from a supplier only to later find that instead of having ordered the 444 variety, I had purchased 402. Although the 402 was shipped in flaked form, the summer’s heat conspired to melt this wax into a solid lump that has the look and consistency of shortening. Golden Soy 402 is really soft because this type of wax is intended for use with making container candles.
Although the vendor was willing to refund the purchase, doing this would have required me to pay the shipping cost. Instead of taking a financial hit, I doubled down by purchasing 60 pounds of beeswax through Amazon. I subsequently mixed 2 parts of Golden Wax 402 with 1 part of beeswax to make this palmier. Just in case you didn’t know this, a palmier is a crispy baked product that’s made with puff pastry.
After using acrylic paint to add golden brown baked highlights to this candle, this is what the palmier looked like.
After making four more of these wax products, I was stacking them together to form a candle when I noticed that the acrylic paint was literally slipping off the models. Even though I had added 1/3rd of the candle’s weight with beeswax to firm it up, the candle was still incredibly slippery. Even the wax that I had used to “glue” these pieces together were slipping off each component part.
I fixed this problem by repainting the candle using colored wax instead of acrylic paint. After brushing the acrylic paint off each piece. I literally painted the candles using melted Golden Soy 444 with varying shades of brown. The new paint job of melted wax completed coated each candle. Once it had dried it made the new surface a lot less slippery. It also gave the palmier a crispy looking deep fried appearance. The candle was then then assembled to form a stacked apple butter palmier candle.
To confirm that the technique of painting the surface of a soy and beeswax blended candle actually worked, I tried the same technique with a stacked French toast candle. To make this product, I used a silicone mold from FlexibleMolds on Etsy to make the sliced bread pictured below left. I then painted it with melted Golden Soy 444 to create the French toast pictured below right.
As with the palmier candle, I stacked the French toast, slightly offsetting each piece to make it more visually interesting. I topped it with a breakfast sausage patty and a piece of bacon. I then drenched it with candle gel colored and scented to resemble maple syrup.
The resulting piece was breathtakingly delicious!
This particular candle was the first to use my newly acquired HTP-1312 wicks. This particular wick has a melting radius of 4 inches. It’s no coincidence that the French toast is a bit less than four inches wide.