Although silicone mold making kits like those made by Bbdino are convenient, they’re also relatively expensive. Two 1.1 lb. containers available through Amazon currently cost $36.97. That comes to $1.09 per ounce. In contrast, you could easily make your own mold using a tube of silicone caulking and a cup of liquid dish dish soap.
A 10 oz. tube of silicone caulking costs $4.98 at Lowe’s. This comes to 50 cents an ounce which is less than half the price of Bbdino. A 28 oz. container of Great Value dish soap from Walmart costs $1.98. One cup costs 56 cents.
The basic formula for making your own silicone mold is really simple. To make a silicone mold of a steak, I filled a large mixing bowl half way full with water. I added 1 cup of dish soap. I then used 1 and 1/2 tubes of silicone sealant.
YouTube videos will tell you to use a caulking gun to get the sealant out. I found it more expedient to use a serrated knife to remove the top of the sealant’s container. I then spooned the mixture into the bowl of water and mixed it by hand.
Although the caulking material was initially a bit sticky, mixing it in the soapy water soon gave it the consistency of soft clay. I literally kneaded this mixture in the water by making a fist and pushing the silicone down to spread it out. I then folded it together and repeated the kneading process so as to expose all of the silicone to the liquid dish soap.
After five minutes I decided to press the caulking material over the steak. Since I had originally planned to use a silicone liquid mix, I had used glue and paper to raise the sides of the plastic bowl so that I could more completely cover the steak. As it turns out, I didn’t need this because the silicone mixture felt like putty and wasn’t going to overflow and spill over the sides.
I pressed the mixture over the steak and made a slight dome to make the area over the steak a bit thicker. Within 30 minutes the silicone mixture had turned tacky. By the following day, the silicone had solidified.
Since the steak had been at room temperature for more than 24 hours, I froze the mold on the premise that freezing the meat would make it easier to remove while also (temporarily) removing any odor.
The completed steak came out of the mold quite cleanly. I used the mold to make this steak which I topped with bacon and fried mushrooms.
Silicone caulking has been really useful. In addition to making molds, it’s also useful for making repairs to existing molds. When the mold I use to make burger patties began leaking hot wax, I patched the hole by using silicone that was extruded using a caulking gun. I then used a disposable popsicle stick to spread the silicone over the damaged area. After letting it dry, the mold was back in use and I was able to continue using it to make hamburger patties for my burger candles.
In the meanwhile, my candle making production has come to a screeching halt. I am now completely out of pillar wax with no hope of ordering more from my supplier until February 25th at the earliest. Assuming the supplier is on track to resume making pillar wax, the earliest I could receive a resupply would be sometime around March 7th or 8th.
If the candle supplier is deluged with orders, I might not receive my order until mid-March if there are several customers waiting ahead of me.
Although I could make ordinary container candles such as the ones pictured above, I don’t see the point of doing this. The type of candles made by most candle makers aren’t technically challenging to produce. Then again, I have also run out of space having now used up the storage area that was vacated by all of the candles I have sold.
Since I am out of pillar wax, I am turning my attention back to a fantasy novel that I began writing about last summer. The novel is about an autistic paranormal investigator. I will continue monitoring my virtual stores and will fill any orders that are received from the existing inventory.